On this beautiful tour we cycle once around the famous vegetable island Reichenau. We pass some churches worth seeing, can buy fresh fruit and vegetables and go swimming in Lake Constance.
Distance 28.8 km
We start our tour at the Rhine bridge in Constance. From here we first pass through the suburbs of Constance before reaching the Reichenauer Damm. On this promontory, which leads to the island, there is a lot going on in the warm months - from hikers to inline skaters to cyclists of all kinds.The Reichenau is the largest island in Lake Constance and also known as Vegetable or Fruit Island, because here you can buy very good products directly from the farmer. Often there is a small fruit or vegetable stand along the roadside with an abandoned cash register where the honesty of the buyers is paramount.Besides the vegetable fields, it is the churches that made Reichenau famous. The close connection between religion and vegetables on the island became clear as early as 840, when Abbot Walahfried Strabo wrote the teaching poem "Hortulus" about horticulture. On our tour we can visit e.g. the small St. Georgskirche shortly behind the island entrance. Even if it looks a bit inconspicuous from the outside, we can see the most important murals of the island and the whole region in its interior. Countless scenes from the New Testament are depicted there in the style of Ottonian book illumination.We continue through flower-strewn areas while enjoying wonderful views over Lake Constance. In between we can have a break in a cosy café and take a bath next to the campsite.
If we have enough time, we should stay at the bathing area until sunset, which creates a very romantic atmosphere.
Update: February 25, 2020
Getting thereB98 to exit Kreuz Hegau, continue on the country road to Constance
ParkingThere are signposted parking spaces in Constance
32T 513101 5279530
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentEat, drink, if necessary rain protection, if necessary backpack/pouches for vegetable or fruit shopping
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view